Monday, March 3, 2014

Engaging the Student

I think that the use of technology in a classroom is useful and should be implemented in more classes. When I go to class I really love taking notes on my iPad. I can type my notes and format them to be very organized. I can draw anything on my notes to help remember something later. I can easily take those notes and change them to flash cards. With almost every test I take, I study with the website/app StudyBlue. With StudyBlue you can join your class, see what flash cards your peers have posted, make your own flash cards, and study on the go. It has definitely helped me get better grades. If something like StudyBlue was promoted or used in the classroom, student would be able to do better in school.

While the program Angel has it's problems, I feel that if it is used correctly, it is very helpful. Being able to check my grades, look at lecture notes, and turn in my homework all from my iPad or phone really has it's advantages. When professors post their lecture notes before class, I can download them onto my iPad and take notes right on their slides. When professors have power points everyday in class but don't provide their notes to students, I find those classes much harder and boring. Even when classes don't have attendance, if they are interesting and engaging, I'll go. Classes that require attendance but are boring and not engaging are the worst. I find myself not wanting to go or simply not paying attention in class.

I honestly believe that classes that allow you to use your own technology or engage the student in how they learn would make students more willing to go to class. If you have to require attendance because so many people aren't going to class, then as a professor, you should reevaluate how you are teaching your class.  


Comment 1
Comment 2

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of more technology being implemented in classrooms because I do as well take notes on my computer. I think they are more safe that way and you can get down what the professor has to say a lot faster than if I were to write everything down. With that being said I also think that when I write things down such as notes to study off of, I tend to remember them a lot better. I am a very visual person so when I write things down I do them in a certain order and organized fashion so I know exactly where to look. When I am on my computer or other devices taking notes it is on a program that has structure such as word where it is harder to show that creative side that helps me remember certain things. So yes I do think that having more technology in the classrooms is helpful for when the professor is teaching us, I also find it some what necessary for those hand written notes as well.

    ReplyDelete