Wednesday, April 30, 2014

So many projects

"describe the best DTC project you saw (not your own), either from the other class projects people had at the DTC Showcase or from the games you saw for this class, and connect what was good about that product to key principles from this class and other DTC classes."

I really enjoyed being able to see so many projects from the DTC showcase. A lot of the projects were very inspiring and fun to watch. I could tell that a lot of these projects had a lot of time and effort put into them. As for my favorites or the best ones, it's hard to choose. 

I really enjoyed watching all the animations that people created. I personally, don't want to pursue any kind of animation as a career, but if I  had more spots open for elective classes, I would definitely take one. So in my opinion, the two best projects were the ghost diner animation and the Minecraft animation. 

For the ghost diner animation, I thought it was well animated and also told a really nice story. It had a nice beginning, middle and end that held the attention of the viewer which is important for story-telling. I could easily see a more polished version as a Pixar short before a movie. In class we talked a lot about interaction of the player with the game. Even though this was an animation, I feel as though it interacted with the viewer as well. The animation played off of the viewer reaction to a cute ghost who wants coffee but can't pick up the coffee mug. While it was simple and amusing, I feel it did everything an animated short should do and more. 

The other project I really enjoyed was the Ironfall animation. I am a fan of Minecraft and I felt as though the animation was well done. Right now, YouTube is huge, it maybe hit it's peak a couple years ago, but it's still the number one source to find videos. On YouTube, creating your own content really generates success. If you post something that's already done before, it doesn't "go viral". Another part of having success is having content that people want to watch. In class we discussed Bogost's ideas on creating or developing for the client or industry and creating for you. This felt as a perfect blend. For this genre of video, gamers want to see parodies of their favorite video games. This video took two very popular video games and put them together in a mash-up parody. While this probably started out as creating something personal, since there is an audience for it, it is also catering to that audience. So overall it really hit several themes we've talked about in class. 

Overall I really enjoyed the DTC showcase and I really look forward to continuing classes in the DTC department.


Comment 1Comment 2

No comments:

Post a Comment